After trying a container of super creamy, slightly tangy coconut yogurt from the supermarket, I tried to make homemade frozen yogurt and Homemade Coconut Milk Yogurt. I discovered it’s not hard at all. As soon as you’ve gathered a few supplies, you’ll be well on your way to making and falling in love with this delicious dairy-free homemade yogurt.
Regular homemade Greek yogurt relies on starter culture to thicken the yogurt and give it a tangy flavor. But, coconut milk has a very different composition;
- You have to add probiotic powder for the health benefits and flavor.
- And agar-agar or tapioca starch for the thickness.
See also: Homemade Frozen Yogurt, Homemade Yogurt Recepies
Homemade Coconut Milk Yogurt – Homemade Frozen Yogurt
- 2 cans of coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons agar-agar flakes, or 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 4 tablespoons store-bought coconut yogurt
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar or maple syrup, optional
- Raw sugar or maple syrup
How to make Homemade Yogurt – Homemade Coconut Milk Yogurt
- Warm the oven for 5 minutes; until it reaches about 100°F, then turn off the heat and leave the light on to help keep the oven warm. Fill the jar for storing the yogurt with boiling water to sterilize them. Let them stand for few minutes, and then pour the water out.
- Shake the cans of coconut milk, open it, and pour it into a medium pot. Whisk until the milk is smooth and uniform for Homemade Yogurt.
- If you’re using agar-agar, sprinkle 1 teaspoon of it into the pot over the coconut milk but don’t stir. If using tapioca starch, scoop out roughly 1/3 cup of the coconut milk and transfer to a bowl with the starch. Whisk this together until the starch is dissolved, then pour back into the pot.
- Place the pan on the stove over medium heat and warm until the coconut milk starts to simmer. Whisk the milk and turn down the heat to low. Continue cooking on low, whisking occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes, until the agar-agar flakes are fully dissolved or the tapioca starch has thickened the mixture.
- Cool the milk until it’s just warm to the touch, about 100°F.
- Add 4 tablespoons store-bought coconut yogurt into the milk while whisking.
- Add the sugar or maple syrup. Whisk together well.
- Pour the coconut milk into the sterilized jar and screw on the lid. Place into the oven; turn the oven light on to keep the environment warm. Alternatively, use a yogurt maker or place into a dehydrator at 110°F. Leave for 12 to 24 hours without disturbing.
- Place the set yogurt into the fridge and chill for at least 6 hours. The Homemade Frozen Yogurt will become thicker as it chills. After this stage, you might find that the mixture has separated with a yellowish, translucent layer at the bottom and a thicker white layer on top. Stir to recombine or scoop off the top layer for thicker coconut homemade yogurt.
- Keep Coconut Milk Homemade Frozen Yogurt refrigerated and use within 2 weeks.